In 2013, we compiled a comprehensive listing of links to the sponsorship guidelines for many hundreds of corporate sponsors around the world. This took a lot of time and effort, but we did it because I believed it would be an invaluable resource for sponsorship seekers.
Fast forward 18 months…
Every week, I get an email from my website, telling me about all of the new broken links. Invariably, these are links from my database of sponsorship guidelines. Upon investigation, these links are going dead because – despite the very clear warning that spamming hundreds of these companies with generic proposals will not net you any sponsorship – that’s exactly what’s been happening.
This is why we can’t have anything nice.
So, even though most of the industry would treat this list with respect – using it to get information on highly targeted sponsors only – the few that don’t treat it with respect are frustrating sponsors to such an extent that they are removing their sponsorship guidelines altogether. That’s bad for everyone.
So, for all of you who are willing to do the homework, please keep doing it and creating great, customised proposals for well-targeted sponsors. You won’t have my database to start from, but I trust that if you’re doing sponsorship well, you probably have the nous to find the guidelines and do the other research yourselves.
For all of you who have been too lazy to put any effort into researching and approaching only well-matched sponsors, and too selfish to follow instructions provided by someone who has done a lot of that work for you, you have two choices:
- Raise your game significantly and right now, and hope you haven’t burned so many bridges with your old approach that genuine prospects won’t consider a strong, customised offer for you.
- Keep looking for shortcuts and approaching sponsorship as a numbers game and get exactly what you deserve. Nothing.
Ready to raise your game?
If you want to raise your game, there are literally hundreds of resources on this website that will help get you there. Here’s a good running start:
- The Sponsorship Seeker’s Toolkit 4th Edition
- Sponsorship Proposal Basics in About 10 Minutes (video tutorial)
- 24+ Proposal Development Resources for Sponsorship Seekers
- 33+ Sponsorship Sales Resources for Sponsorship Seekers
© Kim Skildum-Reid. All rights reserved. For republishing information see Blog and White Paper Reprints.