I’m asked all the time what separates truly amazing, best practice sponsors from the also-rans. And although the specific strategies and techniques could fill a book – specifically, The Corporate Sponsorship Toolkit – I’ve distilled the basic differences between great sponsors and also-rans down to nine.
The nine things great sponsors get right are in the infographic below. Clearly, nobody is going to be able to fit everything you need to know to elevate your approach to best practice in one infographic, but it’s a starting place. If you read this and realise you’re missing some, or even all, of these components in your sponsorship approach, you need to make changes and you need to make them now. Every sponsorship contract is a timer ticking down, and every day you’re doing less than an outstanding job at sponsorship, you’re wasting opportunity.
What should you do? As a start, check out these resources:
- The Corporate Sponsorship Toolkit – This is the bestseller for corporate sponsors and will bring you through the whole process step-by-step
- Blog roundup: 53+ Sponsorship Leverage Resources for Corporate Sponsors
- Blog roundup: 42+ Corporate Sponsorship Resources for CMOs
Need more assistance?
If you decide you need additional assistance with your sponsorship portfolio, or if your organisation has complex or political issues that need objective advice, I offer sponsorship consulting, sponsorship training, and strategy sessions. Please drop me a line to discuss.
AU: +61 2 9559 6444
US: +1 612 326 5265
© Kim Skildum-Reid. All rights reserved. For republishing information see Blog and White Paper Reprints.
If you liked that post, then try these...
- If You Can’t Explain Sponsorship to Your Grandma, You’ve Got It All Wrong
- 20 Pieces of Corporate Sponsorship Advice – 140 Characters at a Time
- How to Get Internal Buy-In for a Diamond-in-the-Rough Sponsorship
- For Outstanding Sponsorship, Minimise Analysis and Focus on Process
- Four Other Reasons You Might Need a Sponsorship Consultant